- When I was seven I wanted to be the youngest published author EVER, or a professional musician.
Or a secretary. (Being practically minded, I had a back-up plan).
- I am a recovering perfectionist.
- I once held a crocodile. (It may or may not have been a baby crocodile. Still, those things can take your finger off and I was extraordinarily brave).
- I majored in English Literature as an undergraduate, and I’m a book fiend. When I was a kid, I used to have at least six books on the go at any one time, and store them under my pillow. I still have at least six books on the go, but have since improved the storage conditions.
- My family are from Africa, and I love its colour, heat and culture of hospitality.
- Pre-illness, I was a runner, and would run 5 miles, three times a week.
- I am small but loud. (5’4″ and used to be able to sing opera).
- I have a post-graduate qualification in counselling, and I enjoy spiritual mentoring.
- I got up to ‘Lower Grade One’ in Ballet before discovering, at the age of 6, that I was utterly malco-ordinated and would never make it as a ballerina. Now I just enjoy watching it instead.
- I’m an extrovert, a ‘2’ on the enneagram (with a 1 wing, tritype 251 – the mentor), and an ENFJ with a general love of all personality quizzes.
- I love good poetry, especially the Romantic Poets and Emily Dickinson, but can’t write it.
More of my passions:
- deconstructing perfectionism
- answering the tricky questions of faith that most avoid
- telling the truth sideways – creative ways of enjoying the Bible
- describing the reality of chronic illness
- training, mentoring and coaching others
- finding hope in hard places
- love – especially in marriage and parenting
A few of my favourite things:
- singing and listening to opera arias (Cecilia Bartoli is my favourite)
- eating dark chocolate and drinking black coffee (de-caff, sadly)
- laughing at my own jokes
- watching the sea
- taking endless photos at family trips out
- TV dinners with reruns of Gilmore Girls
- murder mysteries (I like to pretend I’m a Sherlock-ian Poirot-esque detective)
- trailing my hand out of the window in the car and feeling the wind between my fingers (always assuming I’m the passenger, not the driver)
- dinner parties and storytelling
- Florence (the place, not your aunt) and Greek islands
Wanna keep in touch? Subscribe to my blog by typing your email below and receive my book for FREE: