This week my friend and I did a vulnerable thing – we swapped recordings of one another’s singing voices. It was both fun and scary, because our voices were so different – she has a beautiful, sweet and clear pop/folk voice, and I have a voice that in the pop-range sounds like an over-earnest bespectacled twelve-year old choir girl. However, when I sing opera it’s transformed into a beautiful, pure spinning thing.
- Why not be a semi-expert in lots of different areas?
- Why not be the person who knows a fair amount about many different things?
- Why not be the person who stitches together a quilt of varying talents and skills?
- Let’s reframe ‘jack of all trades, master of none’ as ‘multitalented.’
- Let’s reframe ‘can’t settle on one thing’ as ‘eclectic interests’.
- Let’s reframe ‘not an expert’ as ‘sees the whole picture’.
- Let’s reframe ‘neither one nor the other’ as ‘both’.
Over to you:
- Are a specialist or a generalist? How do you feel about it?
- To what extent do you think society values the generalists and the middle-of-the-road?