Learning to trust

7 months pregnant

What does it mean to trust in God?

This is my story of my exploration of this issue over the past two years.

Before I got pregnant, I was moderately ill with M.E. This meant that I only had enough energy to work 2 hours a day (10 hours per week) and my mobility was limited to 200 metres per day.  I was a wheelchair user and spent my afternoons in bed sleeping.

When I got pregnant, I was overjoyed and excited, but also fearful for what this would mean for my illness, because sleep deprivation and physical exertion make M.E. worse. Having a baby meant labour (major physical overexertion) and then months of broken sleep.  Even healthy people struggled with the physical demands of having a baby – how would I cope?

One of the difficult decisions we had to make was whether to go through labour or have an elective Caesarean Section.  My concern wasn’t the pain of labour but the exertion required to push a baby out.  How could I spend an hour pushing when I didn’t have the strength to walk to the end of the road? I was trying to balance the risks of surgery with the risks of a major relapse (worsening of symptoms) if I went through labour.

We didn’t have a lot of guidance from doctors, because there is so little research done in this area.  They didn’t know what to advise. The first doctor we spoke to refused to consider a C-Section, saying, ‘Labour is not fatiguing – the uterus does all the work for you.’ (I would have liked to have seen her say that to a woman who had just given birth!) In the end we went for a compromise, of sorts: we decided to try for a labour birth, but to have an epidural as soon as possible, and if the labour was too long or if I were getting too tired then they could do an emergency C-Section.

When we talked about our fears to other Christians, the overwhelming message we had was ‘trust in God’.  This came in a variety of ways.  Some people just seemed to say it like it was a platitude, ‘trust in God; I’m sure it will be okay – I know someone who got pregnant and their M.E. went into permanent remission.’ (Mine didn’t; after an initial improvement I had a major relapse). Others actually prophesied healing by the end of the year, and although I wanted to be wise and weigh it up, it secretly gave me some hope. (I wasn’t healed).  Others used ‘trust in God’ as a reason to justify their advice that I shouldn’t have a C-Section, and implied that if I did, I would be showing a lack of faith.

Then I went to a ministry weekend away where people had pictures and words for me that were the same message: trust in God.  These words I did take more notice of; they had no agenda to push, and it felt like God was telling us that.

So even though I knew that most people with M.E. had a relapse 6-12 weeks after giving birth, even though I didn’t understand how pushing my baby could possibly not make me worse, I decided to go through labour. I decided to believe that it might be okay; I decided to trust God, I decided to hope.

********
trusting hands

My labour was short (12 hours) and although painful, it was bearable. I had an epidural after 8 hours, which was a bit late, but it did help. But then my fears started to be realised.  I ran out of strength to push after 5 minutes; I went on pushing for 1.5 hours. Eventually I had a forceps delivery. (One can never look at salad servers in quite the same way afterwards.) Shortly after giving birth my temperature and blood pressure dropped and I was barely conscious.

I spent a week in hospital after the birth. It was fairly nightmarish.  My heart went into tachycardia every time I sat up, and I was gasping for air. I couldn’t stand up or support myself, I had to be accompanied to the (en suite) toilet. I was in agonising pain, which I later discovered was caused by the bones in my spine being bruised by the birth. I couldn’t sit down. It was an effort to roll over.  I couldn’t pick my baby up, dress him, change his nappy. My iron count was so low I had to have a blood transfusion.

To make matters worse, most of the nurses and midwives didn’t understand M.E. or my pain. They seemed to think I was lazy or didn’t want to be with my baby. There were mutterings about social services and needing to make sure I was bonding with my baby and doing things for him before I would be allowed to leave the hospital. It was only when a midwife saw me transform in the space of five minutes from being propped up, eating a sandwich, talking intelligently to lying down, unable to speak or fully comprehend what she was saying that she understood that I really was ill.

The nurses in the hospital kept asking,
‘But you can’t lift up your baby? How are you going to look after him?’
I wanted to say to them, ‘I have no idea how I’m going to look after him. I didn’t know this was going to happen. I’m terrified.’
What I actually said was, ‘my husband works from home’, as that’s the answer that seemed to pacify them.

It was such a weird time, those first few months after the birth. I loved being a Mum; I felt so blessed to have my baby, and very much in love with him. Like most new parents we had the frightening and exhilarating and incredible time of getting to know our new baby and being new parents. But we were also having to simultaneously get used to my new level of disability.  It was 3 weeks till I was well enough to change a nappy. It was 6 weeks before I was well enough to leave the house for an hour (in a wheelchair). We had to change our bedroom to the one nearest the toilet because I could only manage a few steps and it was too far for me to walk from the other one. I ate my meals upstairs because I couldn’t manage the stairs.  I was almost entirely bedbound.  Jon had to take a month off work, and for a few weeks after that he was taking our boy to his work meetings while I slept.

*********

And where was God in this? How did I process it spiritually? If I’m honest, I felt very, very angry.  I felt in many ways like I’d been tricked; tricked by those Christians who had said it was going to be fine. I felt angry that I had believed them.  Most of all, I felt tricked by God.

I went over and over in my head whether I’d made the wrong decision to have declined the C-section.  With all the careful research I’d done, I knew this deterioration in health was a possibility, but it was very much the ‘worst case scenario’.  People had said to me, ‘why do you expect God to give you the worst case scenario? What kind of God do you believe in?’  – and here I was, in my worst case scenario. In fact, it was worse than my worst case scenario.  I thought that I could be bedbound for months but then I would be back to the level of energy I was pre-pregnancy, but over a year on it was looking like I may be long-term or even permanently housebound. I felt like saying to God, ‘You told me to trust you – I trusted you, and you betrayed me.’

It took me many months to come to the following realisation:

When people were giving me the words, ‘trust in God’, I had heard, ‘trust in God, because your health is not going to be damaged by this.’  God had not promised that my health was not going to be damaged.  He had not even promised that my baby was going to be healthy and okay.  He had just told me to trust in Him.

If we trust in God whilst unconsciously putting a condition on it, we are not trusting, we are bargaining. I had not trusted God, I had bargained with Him.  I was angry with God that He had reneged on His side of the bargain; I had trusted, He had not healed.  But God had not offered that to me, and I had no right to assume that that would be the case.

Trusting in God does not equate to believing that God is going to give me the life that I want.  That is wishful thinking, not trust.

Trusting is saying, as Job did, ‘Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him’ (Job 13:15).  It is saying, with Habakkuk, ‘Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines…yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my saviour.’ (Hab 3:17-18)

It is one thing to say you trust God when you have plenty of figs on your tree, when your life is good, when you have plenty and security.  It is another to trust in God when you lose your job, your money, your health, your family or your friends; when you cannot imagine how you are going to cope; when God takes rather than gives.

Even though I still don’t really understand, I am learning what it means to trust. I do not rejoice in my illness and disability nor the uncertainty that it brings, but I am learning to trust in God, to rejoice in God my Saviour.  I am walking in the valley of the shadow of death, but I am stretching out my hand in the darkness, hoping that God will take it.

• Have you ever been through a time in your life where God has taken rather than given? How did you process it spiritually?
  • What do you think about the difference between ‘trusting’ and ‘bargaining’?

Photo credit ‘Child in adult hand’: Phanlop88

, , , , , , ,

54 Responses to Learning to trust

1. Beth 29th March, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

Yes yes yes to this: “Trusting means looking to him, relying on him and his goodness, even when the situation is not as we hoped or wanted. Trusting means loving him and rejoicing in him, even when we don’t understand what he is doing. Trusting means hanging on when he is silent.”

I am learning this kind of trust, too. It is terrifying. But it is (I hope) also very good.

• Tanya 1st April, 2013 at 10:05 am #

Giving you a hug on your journey into trust. It’s scary, isn’t it? … Thanks for coming by!

2. James Prescott 20th September, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Just to add to/clarify the above – I know the truth. God is not a bully out to get me, He doesn’t hate me. He loves me and has blessed me in so many ways, and I am only beginning to learn to recieve His grace. The rational, mature, day-to-day self knows this completely.

The hurt person I was describing before is this immature, hurting, irrational, emotional inner child that tries to creep out from time to time, the one I seem to be in battle with a lot of the time and am trying to overcome.

Of course, the only way I can do this is by simply letting go and trusting God without any gurantee of the outcome. Thanks again for this post.

• Tanya 20th September, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Thanks for this clarification – I completely got where you were coming from – it feels very familiar to my own experience! – but it may be helpful for anyone else who reads these comments. 🙂

3. James Prescott 20th September, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Tanya,
    Wow. I am blown away by this post. Right now I feel like I’m in a valley of my own, where God is distancing Himself and compelling me to trust Him – and reading this post I realised the times I had trusted with God in the past I had in fact been bargaining with God. I said to Him that He had given me so much suffering so young – bullied terribly at school, broken home, alcoholic parent, sick parent, losing a parent at a young age and now a parent with Parkinsons, as well as my own Epilespy – and said to God “Well you dumped all this on me without me ever deserving or asking for it, therefore I shouldn’t have to do anything to get all the good things I desire”. Of course I had to sit and watch others have all these blessings simply given to them on a plate, whilst even when I made an effort nothing happened. I got very, very angry with God – and still do at times. I was bargaining with Him and I find it hard not to, because the inner child still feels unjustly treated by a God who hates him and uses him as a punchbag for his amusement (yes, inside there is a lot of hurt). I know its all irrational, I know it makes no sense, it’s not the mature adult speaking its the hurt and rejected child.

But because of all that’s happened I simply find it almost impossible to trust God – because anytime I let go of control I get hurt.

Trusting God is most definitely something we learn to do – its not something we can just do. Thanks for reminding me of this, and also challenging me to stop bargaining with God – no matter how difficult that is.

• Tanya 20th September, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Wow. I am similarly blown away by this comment, and have tears in my eyes as I read it. I am totally with you – if I were you, I would also be saying, ‘hey God- I’ve had my fair share of rubbishness here – sort it out!’ I value your honesty in saying it feels like being God’s punchbag – YES! That is how I have often felt too. And I also value your honesty in recognising it comes from the deep place of a hurt and rejected child rather than the logical adult self.

Thank you so much for sharing some of your heart – it was a privilege to read.

• James Prescott 20th September, 2012 at 10:19 am #

No problem Tanya – as you probably know, I’m a writer who likes to be honest (although even I keep some things private), and so honoured my comment impacted you. Nice to know there are others who have/do experience the same. Have a blessed day!

• Tanya 20th September, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

Thanks!

4. tanya @ truthinweakness 16th March, 2012 at 1:14 am #

hey there, my new friend,

i really appreciated this post — for so many reasons. and i don’t know if you’ve ever read max lucado’s “He still moves stones,” but there’s a wonderful depiction in there about the time that Jesus healed the paralytic (whose friends lowered him down through the roof). if you remember, the first thing that Jesus says to the man is not “you are healed,” but “you are forgiven” . . . in talking about the friends, lucado says, “they want Jesus to give the man a new body so he can walk. Jesus gives grace so the man can live” . . .

God reached beyond the man’s request to meet his deepest need. and that’s what i hear in your story here, too. God reaching beyond your initial request, to meet your deepest need of fully grasping at the deepest level that you can truly trust Him.
    come.
    what.
    may.

“God had not promised that my health was not going to be damaged. He had not even promised that my baby was going to be healthy and okay. He had just told me to trust in Him . . . ”
    thank you for those words, in particular, tanya.

blessings to you from the other side of the ocean.
    your friend in thorns & gold,
    tanya

• Tanya 20th September, 2012 at 10:04 am #

I think I only just saw this, for some reason… Your comment is a challenge to me, in the best possible way, to keep on trusting in God and to Prize my relationship with Him more highly. Thank you, dear friend. 🙂

5. Amy @ themessymiddle 7th March, 2012 at 1:25 am #

To quote a well known movie, “you had me at the hand picture.” Writing on the hand is something God has been using this past week or two with me. I shared about it in “God is whispering to you” (http://wp.me/p1Ut5W-9E). Trust. That’s a good one too!

• Tanya 7th March, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Hi Amy. Thanks for this. I’ve been checking out your blog – it’s awesome! The writing on your hand exercise sounds like an amazing and positive challenge. (and those strawberries sounded reeeeeally good…!)

6. Bryony 28th February, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Thank you. great heartfelt post.

• Tanya 7th March, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Thanks, Bryony – much appreciated.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Last-minute God {Ruth 1 part 2} | Thorns and Gold - 7th March, 2013

[…] I say it aloud to the world with the shy-boldness of a child who is still learning to trust: God provides for his people. And I dare to believe that whisper: God provides for […]

2. Now we are one (Blogoversary) | Thorns and Gold - 18th February, 2013

[…] is not a battle. With tears and trembling I wrote out my story of the last two years, my journey of learning to trust, and I guest-posted for the first […]